I’ve been hit by a Drunk Driver, what do I do next?

If you are hurt by a drunk driver, you have the right to file a civil lawsuit against the driver for negligence. You may also have a claim for negligence per se.  This means that the driver was acting unreasonably and in violation of the law by driving under the influence, and that their actions directly caused your injuries.

It is illegal drive a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol in Colorado.   It’s also illegal for a driver to operate a vehicle while impaired by drugs or alcohol.  Drivers can face criminal penalties if determined they were under the influence during a crash.

In addition to suing the driver, you may also be able to sue the owner of the car or the establishment that served the driver alcohol.  This is called Dram Shop liability.  in Colorado, a vendor who is licensed to sell alcohol  can be held liable for any injuries caused by one of their patrons.  These laws typically apply to restaurants, bars, and any other establishments that sell alcoholic beverages. These laws can hold establishments that sell liquor responsible if they continue selling liquor to someone who is physically intoxicated.

If you have been injured by a drunk driver, it is important to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney to discuss your legal options. An attorney can help you understand your rights and the best course of action to take to get the compensation you deserve.

Contact Information